Tuesday, April 27, 2010

HGTV "This Kitchen Is Dated"

(Fishing at St. Simon's Island)
Have you ever watched HGTV and heard them say, "This kitchen is dated"? A lot of things we can look at (houses, clothes, movies, songs, etc.) and know the generation in which they were built, made, or created. But God is neither "out of date", nor "dated". God is always relevant for the time!

Recently in my travel I visited the beautiful St. Simon's Islands, Georgia (USA) and had the privileged to visit areas where John and Charles Wesley both did missionary work. The same God that they preached about in the 1700's is the same God that we preach about today. It is the God that Asaph writes about and is recorded in Psalm 77:13, "Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?"

In Psalm 77 we hear Asaph crying out to God in distress. The first few verses we hear him say, "I cry out to God...I was in deep trouble...I am too distressed even to pray!" (NLT) The writer did not sense God's divine presence but he would not give up. All night long he prayed with his hands lifted toward heaven, even though his soul was not comforted.

But then...Asaph begin to think on the times that his nights was filled with joy. He remembered all the things that the Lord had done. He begin to meditate on these things and would not allow them to leave his mind. "They are constantly in my thoughts, I cannot stop thinking about your mighty works" (Psalm 77:12 NLT). Asaph went from thinking about self to worshiping the Lord.

My prayer today:
God, help me today to not be distress with circumstances but to remember the wonders that you have done and to worship you!

No comments:

Post a Comment