Saturday, April 3, 2010

How Is Your Memory?

One of my friends recently stated that he used to have a pretty good memory but was now to the point that he could hide his own Easter eggs. Memory is a funny thing. Some things seems to be imprinted on our mind while other things we forget immediately.

During Holy Week, the day after the crucifixion of Christ and the day before his resurrection we see several things that has been imprinted on the minds of many.

Matthew 27:55 (NCV) says, Many women who had followed Jesus from Galilee to help him were standing at a distance from the cross, watching. I am sure that what they saw on Friday was still imprinted on their mind Saturday morning.

On the next day the leading priests and the Pharisees went to Pilate. They remembered the words of Jesus about "in three days I will rise from the dead (Matthew 27:63)." They were able to quote him. I am sure this was imprinted on their mind.

Then we have the disciples that had followed Jesus but we find in John 20:19 that on the evening of the first day of the week, they were together. The doors were locked, because they were afraid of the elders. These disciples probably had spent most of the weekend together with imprinted on their mind the many teachings of Jesus. But still fear in in their heart until Jesus appears "right in the midst of them and said, Peace be with you."

Peter especially was remembering the experience where he denied knowing Jesus and Matthew 26:75 tells us that "Peter remembered the words of Jesus...went out, and wept bitterly. One translation said that Peter cried painfully. There was a imprint on the mind of Peter that he could not forget!

I am sure there are many other examples we could use but I think you get the idea. What are some things that Christ has imprinted not only on your mind but in your heart? Growing up in a Christian home there are bible verses, songs, and Christian people that I will never forget. Sunday School teachers and church leaders that will always have a (good) lasting impression on my life. (I manage to forget about those experiences that was not quite so good.)

While I wait patiently for Easter Sunday I live in great expectation of tomorrow, remembering some good things about the past but looking for greater things in the future! Thank God that we can have "selected" memory.

"Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:13)"


No comments:

Post a Comment