Thursday, April 1, 2010

What Are They Pouring?

Jesus sat down with his disciples for the Passover meal. During the course of the evening Jesus took the bread, blessed it, broke it, and gave it to his disciples. Then he did a very symbolic thing in taking a cup, probably pouring into the cup, thanked God for it and gave it to his followers. Another part of that passage of scripture do tell us that Jesus "poured water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples feet (John 13:5)."

Now that is strictly my imagination that Jesus "poured into the cup" but it is not my imagination that Jesus poured water into the bowl nor into the lives of his disciples during the evening meal. In fact Jesus had spent the last three and a half years "pouring into" the lives of his disciples His teachings.

I am hesitant to name "my hero's of faith" but one of them was my dad. He poured into my life the first 35 years of my life. There are others that are "pouring" into my life daily. Some I know personally, others by just an acquaintance, and others that I personally do not know but I read behind some of their great and inspiring writings.

The wine that was being poured into the cup is symbolic of His blood and the water poured into the bowl was symbolic of a cleansing. My question during Holy Week for you is do you have someone "pouring" into your life? Maybe a family member or a friend?

I encourage you to look around and find those that can pour into your life good things.

1 comment:

  1. We should all take time to reflect upon who is really influencing our lives. If we are honest with ourselves, we'll know.....

    ReplyDelete