Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Follow the Leader

As a child I use to play silly games (before X-Box) like "Follow the Leader," "Mother-May-I" and "Ring Around the Rosie".  Sounds silly don't they?  They were but I had an older sister that insisted that I join in on the games.  Silly?  Yes, but so is some of the games we still play today.

There was one common denominator in the three games I mentioned - they all required a leader.  Life itself requires a leader.  Proverbs 14:28 MSG says, "The mark of a good leader is loyal followers; leadership is nothing without a following."

Leaders often focus on who is following but fail to look ahead to see who's leading.  John Maxwell states, "Give therefore thought to which leaders you will follow because they will determine your course."  This statement causes me to take a second look at who's in front in my life.  In fact, I took time to write down a few in my journal, but the names of these leaders are to be read only after...well you know.

I first established that there are several leaders in my life in whom I follow.  Some I know personally and draw from their wisdom.  Others, mostly of who do not know me personally, are writers that I enjoy reading their books and blogs.  They are the people that I believe are on the "cutting edge" of being a great leader and have something to contribute into my life.

Here are a few things that I found out about a great leader:
  • They will lead you into areas that you haven't been before.  If you are always treading on the same ground, you may just be going in a circle.
  • They are confident where they are going, and don't mind if others follow.  In fact, a good leader usually wants to share the experience of their journey with others.
  • They are truthful about their journey.  They never try to camouflage their journey, the good or the bad.
  • If they can't go ahead of you, they will give you the directions and point you in the right direction.  King David at first wanted to build the temple but after he realized that was not meant for him, he did not mind sharing the vision or the materials with his son, Solomon.  A good leader wants others to succeed and go further then they went!

To be a good leader I have to be careful of whom I'm following.
"Remember your leaders who taught you the word of God.  Think of all the good that has come from their lives, and follow the example of their faith."    
Hebrews 13:7 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment