Tuesday, April 15, 2014

FACING CHALLENGES (Tuesday)


The last week of Jesus' ministry on earth, before his crucifixion, he spent a lot of time teaching and a lot of time dealing with confrontation.  On one of these days during this week Jesus was challenge by the chief priests and the scribes, along with the elders of his day with the question, "Who gave you this authority?"  Jesus was teaching in the temple when the "religious people" of his day brutally interrupted him and questioned his rights to be teaching in the temple.  Imagine, someone challenging Jesus and his right to teach while in the temple!

Several years ago I was preaching when a visitor stood up in the middle of the church service and claimed that God had given him the other half of my sermon.  Needless to say this confusion was not of God and disrupted that particular church service.  I felt at that moment that my authority to preach the word had just been challenge.  To this day I am not for sure that as a young pastor I responded wisely to the challenge.

But Jesus knew how to answer every challenge of life.  When Jesus was asked the question "Who gave you this authority?" Jesus in returned asked, "When John baptized people, did that come from God or just from other people?"  The religious leaders fearing if they said, "It came from God," then Jesus would say, "Then why didn't you believe him?"   And if the religious leaders said that it came from people they were afraid of the crowd, because the crowd believed that John was indeed a prophet.

The religious leaders answered, "We don't know!"  Jesus said, "Then I won't tell you what authority I have to do these things."  It seems that Jesus always had the right answer for every challenge, and sometime Jesus just didn't answer the challenge at all!

I learned years ago that I do not have to answer every challenge; Jesus didn't.  Some challenges are nothing more than a distraction and is not worth the energy that we invest in the fight.  If Jesus had answered every question and accepted every challenge, he never would have made it to the cross and died for my sin.  I am glad that Jesus was wise enough to see that some challenges was no more than an attempt from the enemy to cause a distraction.

Don't feel pressured into accepting every challenge in life.  You too need to make it to the foot of the cross and some challenges will hinder your vision of the place that Jesus died for you. There are some things I know I have to confront with God's help, but I believe there are some things that I hear God saying, "Let me take care of this for you."

Thank you Lord for the challenges of life that I never have to confront because you have my front and my back side!

"But you will not leave in haste or go in flight; for the Lord will go before you, the God of Israel will be your rear guard."  (Isaiah 52:12 NIV)

Scripture for today:  Matthew 21:23-46; Matthew 22:1-46;Luke 20:1-40

No comments:

Post a Comment