Friday, May 19, 2017

The Parable of the Silver Spoon

The Parable of the Silver Spoon
I remember hearing the expression as a child, "He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth." This expression was first printed in English as far back as the 1700's. I also read recently that in the 1700's carrying a silver spoon in your pocket was as common as carrying your keys or wallet. When this expression was first used it was often to indicate that someone was born into a family of financial blessing. It is true that some people are born into a family of financial blessing but many of us "baby boomers" were blessed just to have a spoon, much less a silver spoon.

However, my parents taught me a very valuable life lesson about financial blessings and God's providential provision. It is found in Malachi 3:10, 11 NKJV.
"Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this, Says the Lord of hosts, 'If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such a blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes so that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground."
One of my mentors use to say, "It is not about the money, it is about the obedience to God's Word." While you may or may not agree with this life principle, it works for me. I have seen God's divine provision for me personally and for the ministry. Time and time again financial blessings have occurred. I may not have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but I was spoon-fed God's Word from an early age abut the importance of tithing and giving.
"So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7 NKJV).
Besides, I have never seen anyone die with a "silver spoon" in their mouth but I have seen folks passed from this life into eternity with "treasure in heaven." So for now, I am not carrying around a silver spoon in my pocket. But if you could look behind my shirt pocket you would find that I am carrying God's Word in my heart, and I am very thankful for this life principle of giving that I have been taught. 

What a blessing it is to give! I encourage you to give it a try if you are not already in the habit of giving.

Blessings,
Tim Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment