Tuesday, July 20, 2010

That Old Buzzard

One Sunday morning recently, while driving back from Savannah, Georgia (USA), I had a buzzard almost fly into the side of my red convertible mustang. I caught myself ducking...and thinking about my next blog.

In case you're not familiar with what a buzzard is they are sometimes called vultures. Vultures are scavenging birds, feeding mostly from carcasses of dead animals. If he is frightened away from his "buzzard feast", he will return as soon as he feels it is safe.

I begin to research "buzzards" and quickly found that there is a book out titled, "The Buzzards Are Circling, But God's Not Finished With Me Yet", by Stan Toler. Another book on the market about buzzards is "Don't Let the Buzzards Get Your Children" by Barbara Middletonand. In reading the review of this book it appears to use the story in 2 Samuel 25 (The Bible) about a mother by the name of Rizpah. (For my preacher friends, this is a great sermon for Mother's Day). "Oh Lord, I Wish I Was A Buzzard" and "Where Buzzard's fly" was two other books on the market.

So I am not the first to use the analogy of a buzzard. But what can I say? A buzzard is a buzzard no matter what species they are and from what part of the world they are from. A buzzard is not something that many folks want as a pet. I don't see any pictures hanging on your walls of a buzzard! Most folks consider them an ugly creature. No one tries to dress up a buzzard. It is like putting perfume on a skunk. It is still a skunk.

Satan is who he is. No matter how this world may try to disguise him, he is still Satan. Like a buzzard he keeps circling his prey hoping to find opportunity to have a "buzzard feast". Jesus puts it a little kinder to Peter when he said, "Satan desires to sift you as wheat."

I guess the moral of this blog is, "when going through this life's journey watch out for that old buzzard (Satan). He is like a vulture looking for a place to land!

No comments:

Post a Comment