Tuesday, August 3, 2010

IT'S NOT ABOUT WORKING HARDER, BUT WORKING SMARTER

In the book of Haggai we read of workers that worked harder but not smarter. It had been several years that the temple in Jerusalem had been untouched. Men and Women was working hard in those days, but had their priorities in the wrong place. God sent the prophet Haggai to bring correction into their lives.

This story reminds me of my childhood days of doing "landscaping" (formally known as grass cutting), and "car detailing" (formally known as cleaning automobiles.) Isn't it odd how we can change the name of a profession and make more money.

I was always taught to work hard. In any job that I have ever done I was taught to give it my best. While this is and has not been a bad principle to live by, I must admit that sometimes if I had worked smarter instead of harder, I would have accomplished more in life.

My prayer is from a bookmark (author unknown) that I found in my desk drawer this morning.
"Lord, I have too much to do, but's it's all important. Help me to set priorities so that I don't feel lost in the pace and the pressure. Give me wisdom and energy to accomplish what's necessary without wasting time or effort. And help me make the best use of my day, remembering that time is a precious gift from You."


John Maxwell says, "Activity does not always mean accomplishment. The issue is not, 'Will my calendar be full?' but 'What will fill my calendar?'"

Will it take a prophet like Haggai to say, "Think about what you have done..You have planted much, but you harvest little...You earn money, but then you lose it all as if you had put it into a purse full of holes...Think about what you have done. Go up the mountains, bring back wood, and build the Temple. Then I will be pleased with it and be honored, says ,the Lord." Haggai 1:7-8

"Lord, help me to work smarter and not necessarily harder."

1 comment:

  1. Something I really needed to read and apply. Thanks, Tim.

    Ellen Mathis

    ReplyDelete