Monday, January 3, 2011

Don't Call Me Stupid!

"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction is stupid" (Proverbs 12:1).  Now I don't make it a habit of calling folks "stupid".  (That is one of those "s" words that as a kid I learned that in using cost me a "mouth washing"  Kinder like "foot washing," both will bring about a great sense of humility.)  But in several translations of the bible this is the word that is used to translate the word "brutish".  Call them brutish or stupid, it makes no difference, the point is they are the folks that hates correction.

Reading recently about King Saul and King David in the Bible, I see this contrast.  Saul seems to be one that hated correction while David was one that was acceptable to instruction.  Samuel spoke to Saul about a burnt offering that he made to God, which was not acceptable.  Saul shows no sign of repentance in that episode.  On the other hand King David was confronted by the prophet Nathan about his sin with Bathsheba, and David had a repentant heart.  There is a great difference!

Recently I have been reminded of the thought, "What is God saying?"  It is my prayer that if it is correction or instruction in my life that I will listen every morning to what God is saying.  God help me to always spend time listening to you before I spend time speaking for you!  I don't want folks labeling me "stupid" because I fail to accept correction.

No comments:

Post a Comment