Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I ALSO WOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU MUCH MORE!

"I also would have given you much more!" is the word that I hear ringing in my ears of what God is saying to King David.  Read 2 Samuel 7 and hear the words of King David giving thanks to God for "bringing him this far."  Hear David telling God "with your blessing let my family always be blessed."

It sounds like David is on a journey headed toward success.  But then in 2 Samuel 11 we see that David's journey takes a left turn.  It is John Maxwell that states, "When we stop growing, we stop leading.  When we stop sacrificing, we stop succeeding."  Many times people ask the question, what happened?  Things were going so well for them and then they take a wrong turn.

In over 30 years of pastoral ministry I have seen many lay leaders and pastors take a wrong turn.  I have sat and listen to pastors and lay leaders relate how that they could not blame anyone but themselves for their sin.  (I heard other pastors and lay leaders wanting to blame someone else for the wrong turn in their life, as well.)  It is a sad day because the blessing of God stops when we stop being obedient to his word.  It is like stopping up a kitchen sink with yesterday's grease.  Grease hardens and stops the flow as sin will harden our heart and stop the flow of God's wonderful blessings in our lives.

But, God ...would have given you much more!

Thirty-four years ago, as a 16 year old grocery clerk one day I spoke with the Keebler Sales Representative that was busy stocking the cookie shelf.  I begin to witness to him about God and what he had done in my life.  As I told him about Jesus he stood there with tears in his eyes and told me that he "once was a missionary" for God.  God would have done much more in his life but somewhere, somehow, he had made a wrong turn in his life.  Thank God for his saving grace that brings forgiveness and restoration in our lives.  Today, thirty-four years later, I still vividly remember that incident of speaking with this total stranger about Jesus. Maybe it was as much for me as for him!

God still has much that he wants to do for you!  God blessed King David but the fact is that God had much more for him then what he ever received.  (Read of King David's sin in 2 Samuel 11 & 12).  The fact is that God has much more that he wants to give you, as well.  It is my prayer today that you will be able to walk out your journey with God, receiving all of the blessings that have your name on them.  For God has great things that He wants to give YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment